Sunday, August 31, 2008

In Honor of Grandma Palmer...


Last night about 10:45 pm, my Grandma passed away. Thank you to everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers. Despite the very painful and difficult end, she was extremely brave and tougher than any of us knew. I feel so blessed to have spent the last days of her life with her. These are the things that made her a great grandma and what I'll remember her for:

1. Always had time for me

2. Let me help make the goodies

3. Taught me to crochet (I know, hard to believe)

4. Always had a treat available

5.She LOVED nuts (in everything)--I hated them and was always trying to talk her out of putting them in things :)

6.Used to call me "Paije-o"

7. Let me play in her shoes (mostly high heels size 5- fit me at age 10 or so)

8.Was happy to keep me company (even while just running errands)

9. Joined the church with Grandpa

10. Made the best 7 layer magic bars

11.Kept a cupboard full of snickers just for me ;) to sneak into when I was less than 2 yrs. old

12.Was ALWAYS cold

13.Was a diligent journal keeper

14.Loved doing family history

15. Talented story and poem writer

16.Had beautiful nails

17. Kept marshmallows on hand just for the great-grandkids

18.When she was mad, would say "oh crumb!" sometimes even "crumb de dumb"

19.We painted an oil painting together when I was about 12 or so

20.She loved the movie "White Christmas"-- first time I saw it was at her house
21.Could barely reach the gas pedal on her car

22.Was brave enough to take me out driving while learning for my permit

23.Liked to scrapbook-in fact her last outing was to Joann's to buy supplies for a scrapbook she was working on

24.Taught me that cheap hairspray on ink would remove the stain!

25. Taught me how to make burnt sugar-coolest thing ever when you're like 9!

26. Never got her ears pierced, wore clip ons

27. Couldn't swim and afraid of the water, but braved a jet ski with my dad in her 80's!

28. Taught me the beauty of a good crumb donut! (Sluy's in Poulsbo)

29.She loved me....


I love you Grandma and will miss you terribly until we meet again!

3 comments:

Misty said...

so sorry to hear. a bye couldn't have come at any better time I suppose. i love your family and you guys are so strong! it was fun to read about her since I didn't really ever get to know her. She sounds like so much fun!

Groverfam said...

I apologize for not calling and saying something. dana told me sunday and I just let time get away from me. I was thinking of you and just seeing your tribute and the pictures of the girls it looks like you will come through it just fine.

MerriLee said...

Paije,
What a beautiful tribute to your grandma--she obviously had the gift of making grandchildren feel precious!
Our prayers are with you to ease your loss, but sweeten the memories.
Love,
Aunt Mary and Unk Steve